Friday, December 10, 2010

Voyage of the Dawn Treader

First of all, to all of you who have not seen the movie yet...I hope you enjoy it! Let me just say right now that it is not extremely faithful to the book. After taking my children's literature class, I have a completely different perspective on what should be in children's books/movies.

The reason I am writing this is because going to a movie theatre in England was a different experience. First of all, there are first class seats and second class seats. Just weird. We got standard class--which turned out to be the first six rows or the last five. We bought some popcorn from the concessions stand. Our friend Alaina bought a hot dog, but since it wasn't warm enough, the lady said she would bring it to us when it was done. THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN AT HOME! The theatre didn't open until five minutes before the movie started, so we had to wait outside in a lounge area. Then, during the movie, they have very few previews.

The movie was done very well. I really enjoyed the soundtrack and the special effects. The cinematography was pretty good, but the plot felt a little rushed, so they didn't spend a lot of time on big, sweeping shots. The movie could have been twice as long. The set locations were great. There were a few new characters and a few old ones were missing, but overall it was a good movie.
(Laura just gave me a whole lecture on how not to be so pessimistic about the movie, so I hope you will go see it if you feel inclined. Appreciate art for art's sake.)

And here is a very good review of the film that doesn't give away anything, but says exactly what I have been trying to say.


The next time you hear from us it may very well be when I am safe at home. Then, you will receive some of my personal reflections on my time abroad. For now, I need to get back to packing so I have enough time to go on a ghost tour of Canterbury :)

Cheers,
--Mary

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Interesting! I didn't know about the different types of seats...
Did ya hear about how the Queen of England went to the premier? *smirks* I doubt she went to Harry Potter.

Post a Comment