Thursday, December 23, 2010

Last Farewell

Well, I didn't realize the time slipping by. I meant to write a last reflection after I came back, but jet lag and Christmas planning got in the way. This will be the final post on this blog...unless we return to Canterbury (but then, the obvious title, A Return to Canterbury, would present itself and we still would abandon this blog).

So, I miss England very much. As the days go by, I find myself unable to repeat a charming British accent to many of my friends. Let's face it, I'm not British and I find myself unable to do it justice. If this post had been written earlier, there would be a lot more stuff in it. As it is, my family is looking for me so we can bake cookies together. Here are a few things I will miss the most:
- my new friends who I may never see again. You made my time in England all the more enjoyable. Thanks.
- my amazing new professors. Thanks to you, I have new ideas to incorporate into my thesis :)
- shopping on high street. I recently went to the mall with my family, and its just not the same.
- hearing street musicians as I shop.
- the charming, friendly citizens themselves. Americans don't quite have the charm part down.
English food, such as
- Digestives :)
- Really good nutella. Laura and I discovered that American Nutella is different and definitely not as good. Yuck!
- Fish and Chips
- a good English Breakfast
- scones, we have been unsuccessful in our attempts to recreate the ENGLISH scone.

There are also a few things which I WILL NOT miss:
- Crazy Americans. Yeah, I just happen to live in the best place to come across those types, but I think commuting to school will help.
- the British attitude towards snow. I'm glad I left when I did.

Overall, I'm glad I took the plunge and studied abroad. It's not an easy thing to do, but it's totally worth it. I've learned a few things about myself and some things I need to change (like incorporating "cheers" into my vocab).

Cheers!
--Mary

Oh, and I thought I should post this video. My dad played this song for us when we left, so I thought it would be appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment